For Explore Wildwood's Fall 2017 session, they've planned something extra special, something spectacular, something unique and unforgettable!
In this series of classes, we'll explain what an artist is, how an art gallery and museum work, and what the process of planning a body of work and exhibiting in an art show is like. Students will be introduced to various artists, and will work on finding their style, brainstorming ideas, and working on a "long term" art piece that they will work on throughout the session. This session of classes will ALSO include an off-site field trip, AND a little art show, complete with opening night reception for our students!
Students may be assigned small bits of homework if needed to complete their projects or prep for their next class. Because each class builds off of each other, this session is available for full session sign-ups only, and drop-in classes will not be offered. *Advance registration is required*. Class topics listed below are subject to change as needed.
- Class 1: Intro. class. We will discuss what an artist is and why they may choose to exhibit their work. We'll be discussing the planning process and will be brainstorming ideas and sketching in our sketchbooks.
- Class 2: Students will look at some well-known artists and works through history, and we'll be learning about critique. Students will decide which artist styles speak to them, which do not, and why. We will also be choosing our project ideas today.
- Class 3: We'll be utilizing class time today to focus on creating our artworks.
- Class 4: Students will be re-visiting their art pieces again in class today, and adding details or re-working any areas that need attention.
- Class 5: We'll adding the finishing touches to our art pieces, and working on details such as titles, signing the work, pricing, and working on artist statements.
- Class 6: Today's class will focus on the show or exhibition, and students will be learning about curating, sequencing, making tags, and planning for the opening night reception.
- Field Trip: We'll be meeting at the Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art on Wednesday, September 6th for a group field trip. You may either drop your child off with us, or stick around and attend with them. (Cost for adults is $7, student field trip cost is included in the class tuition.) We'll have a presentation by museum staff on how a museum works, and play a few games to get the students looking around and talking about the art on display. Field trip will last about 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Art Show: The art show will consist of the students work being on display at the art studio. We will hold a small (free) reception, open to students and their families, as well as the public on the evening of November 10th. Light refreshments will be served.
This class is geared towards children ages 5-12 years old, and is a "drop off" class (children who are 4 and have previously attended EA sessions may also join us). Please note that this is a less active class than most of our Earth Art classes. Students will be encouraged to use their creative thinking skills and to work independently, but will also receive one-on-one time with an instructor through the process. (Adults may sit and read at the tables outside of the studio inside Champion Kids, run errands, or take siblings to Open Play in one of the gyms on-site.) If this is your first Earth Art class with us, please arrive 5 minutes early to fill out some forms at the first class.
(P.S.- If you are bringing a younger sibling or would like to stay after class to play during Open Play in the gym, Champion Kids is now offering Earth Art students and their families $2 off Open Play on class days!)
Cost: $90/child (+$75 for additional siblings). Cost includes provided materials, attendance in the six classes, the off-site field trip admission, and participation in the art show reception. Provided materials: Each student will receive a sketchbook to keep, and be provided with sketching materials, basic art supplies for projects, and exhibition display materials. [Homestead Atlanta members receive 10% off class sign up with valid discount code.]
Class dates: Wednesdays 8/30, 9/13, 9/20, 10/18, 10/25, 11/8, 10:30-11:30am. Field trip: 9/6, 11:00am-Noon. Opening reception: Evening of 11/10.
Your support helps us provide the education to build a more resilient Atlanta. Save on workshops by becoming a member today for only $5 a month!