Join MASS Collective in this two-day class where students will receive comprehensive instruction in the fundamentals of chip carving, a decorative technique in which faceted “chips” are removed from a wooden surface to produce geometric patterns, stylized images, lettering, and ornamentation.
Through demonstrations, guided practice, skill-building exercises, and the completion of a decorative wall hanging, students will leave class with all the knowledge, experience and confidence to pursue chip carving on their own. Each session with start at 10am and end at 3pm with a break for lunch in the middle.
- Sharpening chip carving knives
- Proper technique, safety, and familiarity with chip carving’s basic design vocabulary through the completion of a “practice board”
- Understanding wood grain
- Free-form carving exercises
- We’ll look at historical and modern examples of chip carving from around the world and discuss design considerations specific to the craft
- Selecting and preparing wood
- Methods for transferring patterns
- Finishing techniques
- Completion of a final project: a decorative wall hanging
- Students will go home with a selection of patterns for carving on their own
No prior woodworking or carving experience is necessary to take the class, but all are welcome! This class is best suited to those with little or no chip carving experience.
The instructor will provide the wood and all necessary materials for the class. Students are encouraged to purchase their own chip carving knives, and it is strongly recommended that you start with this knife, or this two piece knife set . Otherwise they may use one of the instructor’s knives for the duration of the workshop.
COST: $275 - Additional 10% discount for Homestead Atlanta members (with Member Discount Code)
Your support helps us provide the education to build a more resilient Atlanta. Save on workshops by becoming a member today for only $5 a month!