Have you discovered shrubs yet? They're the newest way to enjoy a refreshing soft drink or complex cocktail!
Made from fruit, shrubs date back to Colonial Days - and even to the Middle Ages - as a way to preserve fruits in vinegar. Then combine with your favorite mixer and/or liquor and you’ve got something special! Refreshing without being cloyingly sweet - a refined taste to be sure.
An easy way to have a batch of drinks ready in a quart jar in your fridge that’ll last for months – a nice alternative to daytime ice teas, and ready for night time mixers!
At this workshop in the Preserving Now Learning Kitchen you'll:
- Enjoy tastings of various sweet and savory shrubs – cinnamon apple, cucumber lime, tomato basil, winter berry with peppercorns. We’ll be serving yummy appetizers, prepared from the stock of chutneys, pickled veggies, fruit butters and jams from The Learning Kitchen small batch stock.
- Learn about the differences between hot and cold shrubs, what and how to combine spices, herbs, fruits, veggies – so many options to fit your discriminating tastes. We’ll even let you in on how Shrubs got this name!
- Create a couple of cocktails or coolers to taste the glory of a drink made with shrubs, using sparkling sodas, tonic, bourbon, vodka and other mixers.
- Craft one shrub from scratch – combining the ingredients to ferment.
- Leave the class with recipes, instructions and the jar of shrub you make yourself.
Cost: $45.00; Homestead Atlanta members receive an additional 10% discount (with Member Discount code)
Your support helps us provide the education to build a more resilient Atlanta. Save on workshops by becoming a member today for only $5 a month!